Intermediate Commercial Vehicles are classified with Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) from 7.5 Ton to up to 16.2 Tons. A business owner who requires the vehicle for intra-city or short inter-state transportation of goods will find the best use for these ICV trucks. These are mostly powered by a 4 cylinder engine with Exhaust Gas Re-circulation (EGR Technology) of emission control. ICV trucks in India usually come equipped with day cabins and fully built-up rear load body options.
The list of the best ICV trucks in India:
- Tata LPT 1109: Tata Trucks, as the right call it, rule the roads of India and so does LPT 1109 in its segment. This ICV truck from Tata Motors comes in different payload and body length options with 12 Ton & 13 Ton GVW options. Powered by a 125 HP 497 TCIC engine, the transmission gets mated to a 6-speed gearbox.
- Eicher Pro 1110 XP : A legacy which dates back to the brands like Mitsubishi Canter, ICV range of Eicher trucks are the most admired brands when it comes to mileage and high rated payload. Eicher Pro 1110 and Pro 1110XP offer a high rated payload to the tune of 7.5 to 8.5 tons. Eicher Trucks And Buses has recently introduced the industry-first 7-speed gearbox in their ICV trucks which are claimed to offer significant mileage advantage over the competition.
- Ashok Leyland Ecomet 1214 : Ashok Leyland has left no stone unturned to gain a significant pie of the ICV trucks market in India. The company has a slew of products under the Ecomet umbrella brand, the popular ones being Ecomet 1214 and Ecomet 1212. While the majority of competition products come with day cabin option in ICV range, Ashok Leyland Ecomet also offers a sleeper cabin options for long-distance movement of goods.
- Tata LPT 1512 CRX: Tata’s foray in the 15-ton mass-market segment began last year with LPT 1512. After already having introduced Ultra 1518, this Tata truck was launched to majorly compete against Ecomet 1214 and Pro 1114XP in the price-sensitive markets. This ICV truck offers a high rated payload and is run by the same 497 TCIC engine, as equipped in Tata LPT 1109.
- Eicher Pro 1114 XP : Eicher Trucks And Buses launched 1114 E2 Plus, the first truck in Indian trucking in the 14.5 ton GVW category, powered by a 4 cylinder engine. The truck offered a class-leading 9.5 ton rated payload and was quite successful in down-shifting the customers of conventional 16 ton GVW trucks with a heavy 6 cylinder engine, offering almost similar payloads. Thereafter the product got upgraded to Pro 1114XP with a further gain in GVW and payload.
- Tata Ultra 1518 : To counter the increasing supremacy of Eicher 1114 XP and growing industry of ICV trucks in the 10-ton payload segment, Tata Motors also entered the market with Ultra 1518. The truck offered a class-leading 180 HP of power with its 5 liter New Generation DICR engine, that too with EGR technology. Another sibling was later introduced as Ultra 1518.T with 16190 Kg GVW option. However, one gap still existed which customers demanded from this beautiful looking ICV truck was sleeper cabin. The same has not been recently fulfilled through Tata Ultra T.16!
- Eicher Pro 3015: Pro 3000 Series of Eicher Trucks caters to the next-gen segment of customers with a powerful E494 engine and Volvo group’s third-generation engine management system (EMS 3.0). Eicher Pro 3015 is offered in a sleeper cabin option, aesthetically designed dashboard, modern interiors, and more. The truck also comes with industry leading features like multi-drive modes (MBooster+), cruise control, fuel coaching and lot more.
- Eicher Pro 1095 XP: A segment that started with a 9-ton GVW truck (10.90 E2 Plus), got moved upwards with 10.95 with a 9.5 ton GVW and now has its presence in 10.7 ton GVW with Pro 1095 XP. This ICV truck from VECV comes equipped with air brakes, tilt & telescopic steering and offers the highest rated payload in its category.
- Tata LPT 909: Competing with Eicher’s 1095XP is LPT 909 HEx2 from Tata trucks stable. Offered with the standard LPT day cabin and 497 TCIC engine, the truck offers rugged aggregates and long life with a wide service network and higher resale value.
- Ashok Leyland Boss : Equipped with an aerodynamic cabin, Ashok Leyland Boss range of ICV trucks are powered by the H-Series 4 cylinder engine, producing 130 HP of power. The range is available in different payload options with brand names as Boss 1413, Boss 1213, Boss 1113, Boss 913 and even has its recently launched siblings in the MCV category as Boss 1616 and Boss 1916. Ashok Leyland Boss trucks made quite a buzz a few years ago when they were introduced with AMT gearbox for the first time in Indian trucking history.
- BharatBenz 1214 : Daimler India Commercial Vehicles (DICV), with a considerable presence in MHCV trucks, also has a small portfolio of ICV trucks to declare its presence. BharatBenz 1214, the first ICV truck in India with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology of emission control which requires additional liquid urea-based solution called Ad-Blue. However, the product is yet to make a significant presence in the segment.
- SML Global Series : Widely referred to as Swaraj Mazda trucks, the SML Isuzu range of ICV trucks widely cater to the value segment. The company has recently introduced the Global Series (GS) range of trucks, with upgraded cabin and interiors. While SML Super GS caters to 8.7 ton GVW, SML Samrat GS is offered in 10.7 ton and 11.1 ton GVW options. All these trucks are powered by the SLT4 CRDI engine.
- Mahindra Furio : Mahindra Truck And Bus, announced its foray into the ICV trucks sometime back, with its Furio brand. Mahindra Furio range of trucks will be available in multiple payloads and body options. Currently, the company is known to have introduced Furio 14, Furio 12 and Furio 11. As per the company, these day cabins offered on Mahindra ICV trucks are cooler than their surroundings ,offering significant heat respite to its occupants.
We hope you liked are broader level detailing of the best ICV trucks available in India today. We would love to hear from you in the comment section for any doubts, clarity.